This historic Catholic Church, built in 1908 is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Like many churches, the building had undergone numerous renovations throughout the years and unfortunately lost many of the its original interior finishes. The only original finishes still intact were the stencil borders and motifs applied to the ceiling coffers. The earthen colors of the stencil; ochres, reds, browns and mossy greens, competed with the pastel colors of the canvas murals which were added behind the Altar after a fire in the 1990s. The original tin metal ceiling had been painted flat pastel blue and yellow. The walls, pilasters and crown mouldings were all painted over in flat white during a 1970s renovation. The challenge was to develop a historic color scheme which would bridge the traditional colors in the 1908 stencil with the more contemporary colors of rose, aqua, teals used in the altar murals.
A blue woven axminster wool carpet with a border in tones of paprika and green was chosen for the aisles to lessen the noise of foot traffic. The tin metal ceilings were painted with color glazes in a wiped off technique that brought out the dimension of the original stamped pattern in the tin. Historical research revealed two round canvas mural medallions bordered in gold leaf were part of the original interior scheme and therefore replicated by a nationally known restoration art studio. The egg and dart crown mouldings were painted in a combination of metallic gold and glazes to highlight the original architectural detailing. Lamps were replaced with energy efficient LED which provided a bonus of added warmth and depth to the color scheme.
The overall restoration resulted in appearance that was fitting with the original period as well as appealing to current trends, while providing easy to maintain, durable materials that the Church will enjoy for many years to come.